exp date isn't null, but text field is
A clear pathway for managing a children requiring unscheduled (emergency) neurosurgery preoperatively in the ward.
Children requiring unscheduled (emergency) neurosurgery.
The multidisciplinary team involved in care of children presenting with a neurosurgical emergency.
1. Notify the Anaesthetic Registrar - page 8602
2. Book patient with emergency theatre nursing staff (Theatre 2) - page 8092
• 6 hours for solids or anything containing cow's or formula milk
• 4 hours for breast milk
• 2 hour fast for clear fluids
• Coagulation screen may be required depending on case ask anaesthetist or surgeon if unsure.
Group and Save or cross match may be required depending on case - ask anaesthetist or surgeon if unsure.
Consent – this will normally be done by the Neurosurgical Consultant: parents must remain available to do this prior to their child going to theatre.
HDU or PICU post op admission – if this will be required the organising clinician should ensure that PICU staff are aware of the patient.
Theatre 2 extension - 86902 or 86912
Theatre coffee room - 80189
Last reviewed: 01 March 2014
Next review: 01 March 2016