exp date isn't null, but text field is
Proforma and checklist for the safe transfer of a child with an EVD.
Children with external ventricular devices requiring a transfer e.g. CT scanner.
Paediatric critical care and neurosurgical medical and nursing staff.
Patient name _________________________
1. Assess patient parameters A, B, C and D.
2. Remove all unnecessary equipment.
3. Ensure drain insertion site secure and leak free.
4. Check EVD system
5. Before re-positioning the child for any reason, clamp the drain, re-establish zero point and unclamp the drain. Eg. Moving from trolley to bed.
6. During transit maintain drainage. EVD should be unclamped in ambulance or en-route to scan. Observe the drainage system at all times during transfer.
7. Ensure system when open is maintained vertical at all times.
8. Continually assess patients’ neurological status and all parameters.
1. Assess patient again A, B, C and D.
2. Move monitors prior to patient.
3. Clamp drain prior to moving patient.
4. Re-establish zero point and unclamp drain, maintaining vertical position
5. If drain left clamped assess patients neurological status at all times. Drain should not be clamped for longer than 30 minutes.
6. Observe and monitor EVD system throughout period of transfer.
7. On return to unit ensure all safety checks undertaken.
Last reviewed: 24 November 2020
Next review: 30 November 2023
Author(s): E. Gracie C. Lamb J. Richardson