exp date isn't null, but text field is
Indications, exclusions and methods of emergency contraception available for adolescents. This includes information about the assessment of failure or potential failure of a contraceptive method. A proforma and algorithm are supplied to aid a healthcare professional.
Adolescents requiring emergency contraception advice.
Medical and nursing staff involved in the assessment, delivery of advice and management of young people requiring emergency contraception.
Please read in conjunction with Managing sexually active young people - staff guidance
- If pills are missed day 1-7, consider EC if UPSI has occurred in the pill free interval or day 1-7
- If pills are missed day 15-21, pill free interval should be omitted (e.g. two packs run together with no break)
Discharge and Follow up:
All cases should be provided with an EC leaflet: Click here for leaflet
All cases should be given contact details for the Sandyford ‘The Place’ clinic: Click here for website
Advise to seek medical attention if:
2. FSRH Clinical Guidance. Emergency contraception December 2017
3. FSRH Missed Pills Recommendations May 2011
4. FPA: Your guide to emergency contraception leaflet March 2011
Last reviewed: 13 December 2013
Next review: 01 December 2019
Author(s): Dr Marie Speirs
Approved By: Clinical Effectiveness